May 25, 2010
No cook tomatoe sauce
• 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
• 1⁄2 cup pitted and quartered brined olives, such as kalamata
• 1⁄4 cup finely chopped sweet marjoram leaves
• 1⁄2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley sprigs
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt to taste
1. In a mixing bowl, combine tomatoes (and their juice and seeds), onion, olives, marjoram, parsley, vinegar, pepper and oil. Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Add salt to taste. (Note: Can be made up to 1 day ahead; remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.)
2. Serve with bruschetta or toss with hot cooked pasta.
To make bruschetta, slice a loaf of French bread diagonally into 1⁄2-inch slices, discarding ends. Brush lightly with olive oil. Bake at 375 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned.